Here are some quick tips that may help you save some money when choosing airfares.
- Remember 3pm (Eastern Time) on Tuesdays. Airlines often post sale fare on Tuesdays.
- Cheapest days to fly international are Monday through Thursday.
- Cheapest days to fly domestic are Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday.
- Most expensive days to fly are Monday, Friday and Sunday. Days popular with business travelers who are not as price conscious as those on vacation.
- On your internet browser, clear the "cookies" after a search for fares. Some travel fare sites can still show the higher fare you viewed earlier than newly posted lower fares.
- Fares can be updated as many as three times per day during the week.
- If a fare goes down, some airlines will refund the difference. The passenger must monitor the fares and notify the airline; but service fees may be incurred.
- Sign-up for email alerts with the airline. If you live in popular destinations, special offers can be few.
- Not all websites are created equal. Even if you check through Kayak (which searches across multiple airlines), always check other sites (such as Orbitz and Expedia) as well as the airline websites. Fares can be vastly different on international routes.