|The new breed of NYC taxis.|
The minivan which won the two-year "Taxi of Tomorrow" competition features:
- Overhead window to give passengers a view above.
- Onboard outlets and charging stations.
- Fuel efficiency at 25 miles per gallon (compared to 12-13 miles per gallon for the Crown Victoria).
- Cheapest among the three finalists at a cost of $29,000 (and an anticipated $1 billion in total sales).
- Airbags & crash testing.
- Doors that slide sideways.
- GPS systems.
- An option for taxi owners to buy a wheelchair-accessible version (Bloomberg said that a new program would allow riders in wheelchairs to call for properly equipped vehicles).
|The three finalists.|
London taxi drivers go through a rigorous qualification process to operate one its signature black cabs. Perhaps the next step in improving the NYC taxi system is the driver qualification process.
Vehicle interior (all images: New York Taxi and Limousine Commission)