Saturday, October 22, 2011

By George! Pizza, Pasta & Cheesesteaks




When in Philadelphia, have a Philadelphia Cheesesteak. Among my list of things to do in the city is to finally eat a Philly Cheesesteak for the first time. The rivalry between Pat’s and Geno’s Steaks is highly publicized but I opted to find one closer to my hotel. It was a reason to return to the Reading Terminal Market.

It’s early afternoon and I wonder through the crowded lunch crowd when I see the neon sign for By George! Pizza, Pasta & Cheesesteaks. So what the heck. I stood in the line that stretched into the neighboring vendor. The guy’s at By George! work fast but when the line is this long during the lunch, you’ll have to wait a few minutes until you get your hands on a cheesesteak.

Since it was my first one I opted for the classic of thinly-sliced pieces of steak and melted cheese in a long roll. With a medium cola, it cost $10.35. Even though I had only eaten a pastry and coffee since this morning, I couldn’t finish the sandwich as much as I wanted to. The meat was well spiced and dripping with juices.

By George! is open Mon-Sat 8am-6pm. The eatery also serves brick oven pizza, calzones, lasagna and meatballs.



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...